I promised a sneak peek at the next project. It was to be posted a couple of days ago, but I had a few interruptions. Never mind, I’m back on track now & can show you a little of the construction of this new skirt. The pattern is McCalls 9277, from 1954, and the fabric is a Liberty print heavy weight cotton. It has the most appropriate seasonal colouring & design!
I love the pocket detail on this skirt, although it can be tricky to get that point dead on without the fabric fraying like mad! There is only one seam in this skirt, the centre back. All the side and front dart shaping happens in the seams of the pockets. I have shortened this skirt by about 12cm. No-one wears them now as long as they did back then! I have used a Jaeger satin lining for the pocket pieces, and all the seams have been stitched & pinked. I had sampled binding the seams, but with the cotton shell you could make out the bulk, so I gave it a miss.
The pockets are cool! One day, when I’m feeling adventurous, I may attempt a piped edge… But not into the notch!
Hems must be neat & I do love a bound or taped hem. This one I bound with white cotton bias binding & hand stitched with a herringbone stitch. I tried finding a more adventurous colour, but it seems binding plays it safe unless you make your own. Anyhow, the white does the job just fine, so I’m happy.
So it’s just about finished, I just need to choose a button & get the buttonhole made & that sewn on. Then there’s the question of who will be modelling it. Unfortunately this skirt does not fit Belle, so will be destined for my Etsy shop.
Unfortunately I have been distracted by a rather pretty little blouse that arrived from America this week, courtesy of my friend in Chicago. It was purchased from Historically Inspired Patterns on Etsy. I have the perfect fabric too, so I may be a little delayed with my next frock for Frocktober! On the other hand, the print is a Liberty City Poplin red rose, so it’s perfect for RedOctober 😀
View B with the 3/4 quarter sleeves is calling me…