Time for a little change! A quick foray into my pattern box last week produced this pattern to make for Belle. She’s been hankering after a black skirt, so I thought I’d oblige. Not just any black skirt though mind you – something cool. I rumaged around in my fabric stash & emerged truimphant with a piece of black on black polyester jaquard stuff with daisies in the weave. Not getting any cooler than that here at the moment! This was left over after a jacket I made for myself in a bit of a rush – didn’t toile it first & then found it didn’t fit. GRRRRR
So, I’m not sure there really is a right or wrong side with this stuff, just the side you want to use & the side you don’t! I used it as it is on the right in this photo. It has quite a bit of body, doesn’t press terribly well, but does hold its shape nicely. That’s why I wanted it for my jacket! Anyhow, the skirt in the pattern is described as a “hipster” skirt. In the toile stage Belle expressed a preference for it to sit on her waist rather than her hips, and for it to be shorter. Now in that sketch on the pattern envelope you can quite clearly see the hem sits well above the knee. Well, it doesn’t! Even hiked up 5cm to sit on the waist it was a little long. Dowdy kidna long. So off went another 4cm & 4cm for the hem too.
This fabric does fray – madly! I had some raspberry cupro lining left over from a previous project, so cut loads of bias strips for all the raw edges. I like this finish so much, it really makes the inside of a garment look fabulous, especially if you can use a contrast colour, or a print.
The body in the fabric makes the skirt keep an A-line shape, something Belle quite fancies. I love that it goes in the wash & comes out again not needing to be ironed! That’s got to be a win.
There is a little of the fabric left over – not enough for another whole project, but I am going to see if I can pair it with a plain black wool & make either the jacket that goes with this skirt, or another. I’m seeing panels, contrast details, etc.