I do like these “1 Yard Line” skirts. One seam, interesting details & all in under a metre of fabric. I’ve had this pattern for a while & decided to make it finally in a stretch cotton twill I bought from Croft Mill Fabric. I could go on in praise fo the fabric, but suffice to say it’s gorgeous! A great weight, medium, not heavy, good amount of stretch & a fabulous satin finish. And the colour….. I seriously suggest you investigate Croft Mill Fabric’s offerings, there is something for everyone & I love the quality of everything I’ve had from them.
Photographs outdoors at this time of year are a pain! I have to wait for Belle to come home from school, which means the available light is minimal – nevermind the added cloud cover. I know, the fabulous jacket is obscuring all the detail of the angled darts at the waist, but at least here you get to see the length (I shortened that skirt by 6cm!).
The walking pleat in the centre back seam has a buttoned placket above it, just another little detail. I am going to make more of these, they don’t take a lot of fabric & I like the shape. Perhaps I’ll shorten it more though, it’s definitely not as short as the sketch on the pattern envelope! I pinked the seam in the centre back & bound the hem with a matching cupro lining cut on the bias. I also used the lining for the inner waistband. the instructions call for petersham, but I find that is a little uncomfortable against the skin, & not everyone tucks their shirts in these days! The closure is a hook & bar which I used buttonhole stitch to attach. that way the hook & bar will still be attached to the waistband long after the rest of the garment has faded away!
I persuaded Belle to brave the chill for 2 minutes & remove her Jungle January swing coat so we could see the whole skirt…
Continuing with the purple theme… The blouse in the above photo is another vintage make from this last week. The pattern used is McCalls 4060, dated to 1957.
I loved view B & had recently added a 1m length of Liberty lawn to my fabric shopping. I only went into the shop for a zip & a reel of thread! I love the print though, and have bought it 2 other colourways before! My subconcious decided I had to have it to pair with the purple skirt, so who was I to argue? Unfortunately the 1m was not enough to make said View B with all its details. So I have had to forgo the bias band & had to cut the facings from a plain white lawn too. I managed to make a fairly good pattern match though, so I’m happy. It does mean that I will have to make another, with all the details!
Not many photos, I’m afraid! It was too cold! The pattern itself is fairly basic. There are double tucks in the front & back, a convertible collar & facings at the armholes. I used French seams throughout, as I tend to do with Liberty lawn.
I have finished the silver 60s dress, but lack a model to show it off on! I may have to resort to using a tailor’s dummy, but will see if I can scare up a willing victim who I can bribe with chocolates… The skirt & Liberty print blouse will be found in my Etsy shop by the end of today, I need to calculate postage etc. This week I have a couple of modern patterns to make for Belle, and the most perfect vintage dress pattern which she’d like me to turn into a coat. I’ll post a peek at it later this week, so come back soon! :D