It’s been a while, but I finally have a candy pink gingham blouse to show off. I wish I had this in a smaller size because Belle really wanted one of her own! Using view 2 of this oh-so-cute Simplicity pattern, I had a small print (not weave) pink & white gingham in my stash that was just a perfect match & I only just got it all in too!
Once again, the dart tucks on the front & back make the blouse fit so well, but my favourite part of this pattern is the collar. I love the curve of the revers. Sometimes it’s the little things that count!
I used flat fell seams this time, they seemed to suit the slightly “sporty” look of this shirt. I’d have loved to have done the pocket or embroidery, but I only just had enough fabric to squeeze the pattern out, & the embroidered initials really need to belong to the person whose shirt it is. So there you go – I’ll have to look out for a smaller size on Etsy, or draft one for Belle.
The pattern itself is really easy to follow & make up. The sleeve is inserted as a men’s shirt, not as a set-in sleeve, & then it’s topstitched onto the body of the shirt. This could be the answer to those sewists who are scared of setting in sleeves…
I’m also loving those big cuffs – and they aren’t fake ones this time either. The dart combined with the shaped side seam & dart tucks at the hip give this shirt a great shape & allow for good movement. My model unfortunately was not moving – it was rather cold when I bribed her with chocolate cake to stand outdoors for me!
I love this shirt with jeans, I can just see it with a pair of capri pants & converses in the summer! Oh, please come quickly summer, we need warmth!
I really liked this pattern, so intend to make another, with maybe just enough time to fit it in before the end of the month & the end of the Sewcialist’s Sew Blue February. I have the prettiest blue & ecru floral print in my stash that would look dead cute in this pattern. In the meantime I can chalk this up as another piece of fabric busted from the stash, whoop! It’s also for sale in my Etsy shop now, so sad that it fits neither me nor Belle. Ah well, another pattern sewn up, only 200 more to go.. I suppose I should have numbered them as I went along. Obviously I have very poor organisational skills!