So this was meant for the beach. And for summer. So why have I only made it now – at the very end of the summer? Because the pattern only arrived in my sticky paws recently and only more recently did I snap up the perfect fabric! It was one of the patterns I took with me on holiday to cut out. I decided against trying to persuade the other half to take the sewing machine so took a pile of fabrics & patterns instead. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one!
This is Simplicity 2205, dated somewhere in the 1940s, I wish I could be more precise, but the date is on the instructions, which did not come with my pattern. Never mind, thankfully it wasn’t too difficult to figure out how to put it all together. The fabric I chose is a pretty red rose print linen. Of course I bought the fabric without the pattern and only just had enough to fit everything on. I am really happy with how it worked out.
The top is really simple, the back has shoulder darts, the sleeves that typical fullness that 40s tops have. I used French seams for the side & shoulders and bound the entire edge with self-bias. The sleeves are finished with self bias too.
The shorts have mock Fench seams and a hand stitched lapped zip on the left. The two pleats in the front as well as one pleat in the back ensure a good fit at the waist and a looser fit over the hips. The hems of the shorts are finished with bias tape. Even without the instructions this was not a difficult make.
This is the last of the very summery makes for a while, I do have the most wonderful peacock feather print cotton that I cut out during the holidays. It’s going to make a fabulous early 60s Vogue pattern, so maybe that’ll be the next item you see here – or maybe I’ll get distracted with something else! I do desperately need to get my new pattern purchases sorted in proper storage. The longer they hang about, the more I cannot decide what to make next!